Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Airport Madness

Excitement. That was the only emotion I felt as the plane took off from Pucallpa, PERU. I was going to be home for Christmas. The short 50 minutes flight to Lima went well. I went to the ticket counter in Lima to get my boarding pass only to find out that my plane was delayed by an hour. I didn´t think much of it.

As I walked up stairs to the little food court, my eyes witnessed a glorious sign, two in fact. Right before me was a Dunkin´Donuts and a Papa Johns Pizza. I went right up to the counter and got myself a pizza. I had not tasted anything that amazing in 5 months.

Well, after I was full I went thru security. It was then that I got hit with weirdness. I was leaving my outback city to go home to the modern world. It felt weird to be in an airport and see all the high tech stuff. My mind was kinda blown away. But after an hour I realized that I am American and used to this stuff so it wasn´t a big deal anymore.

On the plan I chatted with this nice local boy until we arrived in Miami. I looked down at my watch, I had only an hour to make thru customs and recheck my luggage and get my boarding pass to fly back home. I began to panick. Unfortunately, by the time customs was done, so was my flight. I then had to walk to the American counter and wait in the LONG LONG LONG line to find a ticket to take me home.

After about 45 minutes, it was finally my turn to the counter. This weary lady finally found me an empty flight to Dallas. Granted, I did not want to have to go that far out of the way, but I had no choice. From Dallas I was to fly on to Indianapolis.

When we touched down in Dallas I was again stressed and mad. The flight took a little over two hours and my flight to Indianapolis left in that last hour. I thought I had missed my flight. Then to my relief I realized that Dallas was an hour behind. I was so happy!!! So from there I made my flight to Indianapolis. I was so happy to see my parents when I got to the airport. Unfortunately, my luggage didn´t make. But at that point I didn´t care. I was just grateful for the fact that I made it to Indy. Luckily, my luggage was waiting for me bright and early the next morning on my doorstep.

No comments: