Friday, September 21, 2007

why is my tongue furry?



What have I learned in Peru? Well, let me tell you a little equation I picked up. It goes something like this... (doxycyline) + (metronidazol) = THRUSH.

I was sitting at the dinner table one night and was eating popcorn, lemonade, and some fruit. My tongue felt weird. It felt as if it was doing what your foot does when it falls asleep and begins to wake up. That´s what my tongue was doing. Then it also felt like it was a little swollen. I thought I was just allergic to something, like the new type of sugar we bought. I just decided not to eat that sugar in my drinks. However, this weird feeling continued everytime I ate something. It didn´t matter what it was. It wasn´t until some random passing by a mirror that I saw my tongue, cause I was talking. I looked at it, and was grossed out. It had a coat of white looking mold on it. The first thought that popped into my head? THRUSH!!

Well, the first round of treatment that was recommended was Gentamicina Violeta. It´s a purple liquid that stains. We (Oh yeah, Emily was on some antibiotics too and got it)were told to paint this on our tongues twice a day. So we complied. We had purple tongues for a bit. However, this did not work. We still had the nastiness on our tongues. We then had the doctor look in our mouths. He told us to take Fluconizale 150mg and Vit C daily for 7 days. This seems to be working. The fur is beginning to recede. haha.

These pictures are me painting my tongue with the Gent.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That has got to be about the grossest thing I've ever heard, but, lol, I'm glad you shared it. And you seem to be in good spirits despite the fur. I miss you!