Sunday, August 26, 2007

La Clinica!

This week was our first clinic. We were in a little barrio outside of Pucallpa. It was a very poor community. The first day of clinic was really stressful. We were a little disorganized and were trying to learn how we could manage the clinic successfully. Unfortunately, I got stuck doing triage with my meager Spanish speaking skills. It took me a couple of days to get used to their slang and what they meant when they said certain things. It was hard to understand their Spanish not only because of their slang usage, but because they didn´t have education. Everyone complained of their kidneys hurting when in reality all they had was lower back pain. A veces they would acutally have a UTI or something, but that was infrequent. We also saw a lot of people with intestinal worm problems. I think I have become an expert with diagnosing worms. You can probably assume everyone had it anyways, especially the kids. They all had their round-hard tummies sticking out. There was one really sad case of a guy who had his large intestines hanging outside his body in a sack. It was so hack´s idea of an ostomy I guess. Anyway, we are raising money for him to have the surgery to repair the mess that stupid hack of a doctor made. It cost about 2000 soles, which is about $600 in American money. So if you are interested in helping out email me!

It was a really stressful week, but I feel like I learned a lot. Now the group has separated, or should I say that Emily and I have been separated. We are living with a local Peruvian family for 6 weeks. We begin our health program this week. We still aren´t really sure what all is going to happen. Gotta love great organization! ha! So we really need your prayers. It´s a little stressful and weird to be out of our little support group. Granted this will only be day 2, so I am assuming I will adjust in a few more days....hopefully.

So far I have loved my experience in Peru. I like that I am learning my way around the city, and can almost get back to the plaza from anywhere. Peruvian life is very laid back, except when free medical care is involved..haha. Oh yeah, people would start lining up for the clinic at like 3am, and clinic didn´t start until like 7-8am. So we would hear them talking really loud in the morning. Anyways, all I can say is ¨so good so far¨.

No comments: