Friday, August 17, 2007

Fires and Earthqukes

Today started out just like any other day. I woke up, had worship, ate breakfast, and started some laundry. However, I would later find out that this was no ordinary day. The first occurrance was a fire. The guys had stupidly started a fire to burn the tall brush on a hot and windy day. The fire started to blow and spread. It wasn´t a raging wildfire, but moving brush nonetheless. So we got some boards wet and started to beat the burning embers. I´m not sure if this was effective or what exactly stopped the fire. But it slowed down.

Next occurrance-supper. We had bowed our heads to pray and all of a sudden I started to feel dizzy. I opened my eyes and saw things swaying. I was scared cause I thought I was really sick. After the ¨amen¨was said everyone started to comment on the swaying. Turned out I was experiencing my very first earthquake. It didn´t last too long. Maybe for a minute or two. We were lucky that there wasn´t any damage in the area we live.

The final occurrance-before bed. Kaitlyn had come back from the shower saying she saw smoke and a fire. We then got some shovels and loaded into the back of the truck to check out the back part of the property. Turned out the fire was back. It was about 4 meters away from this one guy´s thatched roof house. He told us he didn´t think anything about it because God was coming back soon. Anyways, we continued to fight this fire by beating out the hot embers and throwing dirt over the flames. We finally got it under control.

I thank God that he protected us during this time. He really does watch after us!!!

No comments: